What about the SIN of a deceased person?

When a person dies, there is a risk of someone committing fraud with their Social Insurance Number (SIN). Informing the SIN program of the death reduces the possibility of anyone fraudulently using the SIN.

You are only required to inform the SIN program of a death if the death occurred in one of the territories or outside Canada. Note: If the death occurred in a province, the notification of death is received electronically from the provincial vital statistics agency.

To report a death, you must provide proof of death, such as a Statement of Death from the funeral director or a copy of the Death Certificate issued by the vital statistics agency, and the SIN of the deceased individual. You may submit the documents in person at your nearest Service Canada Centre or mail them to the Social Insurance Registration office, Post Office Box 7000, Bathurst, New Brunswick, E2A 4T1.

When you provide us with this information, the SIN record will be annotated to indicate the person is deceased, but the SIN can still be used for estate purposes. If you cannot remember the SIN, the legal representative of the estate can make a request to obtain a confirmation of SIN of the deceased individual from Service Canada.

For information about the SIN program, call 1-800-206-7218 and select option “3”.