Can I ask for a new SIN if my confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card has been lost or stolen?

Important Notices:

  • There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped.

Service Canada Centre will not issue a new SIN if your confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card has been lost or stolen. If you don't remember your SIN , you can refer to your income tax return where your SIN can be found.

A new SIN may be issued only in situations where there is proof that the SIN is being used fraudulently. To obtain a confirmation of your SIN, refer to How do I apply for a SIN, obtain a confirmation of my SIN or amend my SIN record? If, in the future, another person uses your SIN for employment purposes or to receive other taxable income, you will receive a Notice of Reassessment from the Canada Revenue Agency concerning undeclared earnings. This is an indication that your SIN is being used fraudulently.

If you suspect someone is using your SIN for fraudulent purposes, consult our Web section for more information on how to deal with SIN fraud.

For additional information regarding fraud and fraud protection, refer to the Government of Canada’s Anti-Fraud Centre or call 1-888-495-8501.