What should I do if my confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card has been lost or stolen?

Important Notices:

  • There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped.

If your confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card has been lost or stolen, it is important to be aware that someone could try to use your Social Insurance Number.

We recommend that you follow these steps to protect your SIN:

  • Carefully review your bank account, credit card and other financial transaction statements. If anything concerns you, contact your financial institution.
  • Monitor your mail for any disruption in delivery.
  • Contact Canada's two national credit bureaus: Equifax and TransUnion. Ask for a free copy of your credit report and review it for any suspicious activity. You may also wish to see if your credit file should be flagged to indicate that your personal information has been put at risk and may be vulnerable to fraud.
  • Report the theft of your confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card to the police if you suspect that it is being used fraudulently. Ask for the case reference number, the officer's name and telephone number.

Contact information:

Toll-Free Numbers

  • Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
  • TransUnion: 1-800-663-9980 (for residents of Quebec: 1-877-713-3393)

If you suspect someone is using your SIN for fraudulent purposes, refer to: What should I do if I suspect someone is using my SIN fraudulently?

For information regarding fraud and fraud protection, you may also visit the Government of Canada's Anti-Fraud Centre or call 1-888-495-8501.