What should I do if I suspect someone is using my SIN fraudulently?

If you suspect that someone is using your Social Insurance Number (SIN) fraudulently, act quickly to prevent personal loss and minimize the negative impact.

  1. File a complaint with the police. Ask for the case reference number, and the officer’s name and telephone number. If you choose to obtain a copy of the police report, make sure it states your name and SIN.
  2. Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. The national anti-fraud call centre is jointly managed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Ontario Provincial Police and Competition Bureau Canada. They provide advice and assistance about identity theft.
  3. Call Canada’s two national credit bureaus. Ask for a free copy of your credit report. Review it for any suspicious activity. Also check to see if your credit file should be flagged. This will indicate that your personal information has been put at risk and may be vulnerable to fraud.

    Toll-Free Numbers
    • Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
    • TransUnion: 1-800-663-9980 (for residents of Quebec: 1-877-713-3393)

  4. Inform your bank and creditors by phone and in writing about any irregularities.
  5. Report any irregularities in your mail delivery to Canada Post, for example, opened envelopes, missing financial statements or documents.
  6. Visit a Service Canada Centre and bring all the necessary documents with you proving fraud or misuse of your SIN. Also bring an original identity document (your birth certificate, or immigration or citizenship document). One of our officials will review your information and provide you with assistance and guidance.