Can I ask for a new SIN if I have been a victim of fraud?

Service Canada issues new Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) only in certain situations, such as when you have been a victim of fraud. If you can prove that your SIN was used fraudulently, you can ask for a new SIN.

However, you may not want to do so. Getting a new SIN will not necessarily protect you from fraud or identity theft. If someone else uses your old SIN as identification and the business does not check the person’s identity with the credit bureau, credit lenders may still ask you to pay the impostor’s debts. Each time, you will have to prove that you were not involved in the fraud.

In addition, if we issue you a new SIN, you will need to contact all your financial institutions, creditors, pension providers and employers (past and current) to ask them to update your files.

NOTE: Service Canada cannot correct a credit file. It is up to you to contact your financial institution(s), report any discrepancies, and have them resolved.