SIN beginning with a '9'

SINs beginning with a “9” are issued to temporary foreign workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. These SINs have a period of validity corresponding to the period in which the foreign worker is authorized to work in Canada, which has been granted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Before hiring a new employee

You must see the employee's existing immigration document authorizing him or her to work in Canada (e.g. work permit, study permit) and verify that it has not expired. If the immigration document has expired, you must ask the employee to contact CIC to obtain a valid document before hiring the employee. You must also inform the employee to apply with the new immigration document to Service Canada for the SIN record to be updated with the new expiry date.

Before extending employment for your employee

You must always verify that the employee is eligible to continue working in Canada. Your employee must have applied to extend their authorization to stay and work in Canada with CIC in advance of the expiry date on their document.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, while their application for renewal is being processed, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.

As soon as a decision is made by CIC authorizing the employee to continue to work in Canada, you must verify the new immigration document and the expiry date. You should advise the employee to apply with his or her new immigration document to Service Canada for the SIN record to be updated with the new expiry date.

For more information about hiring or extending the work of temporary foreign workers, you may contact the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.