International students and the Social Insurance Number

International students in Canada may work on or off campus without a work permit if they meet the eligibility requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Students are required by law to provide their Social Insurance Number (SIN) within three (3) days after the day on which their employment begins.

To apply for a SIN, international students must present either:

  • a study permit issued by CIC that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; or
  • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by CIC prior to February 6, 2015.

If neither of these requirements is met, the international student may contact CIC to verify if he or she is eligible to apply for an amended study permit.

For more information about working while studying in Canada, visit the CIC website or call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.