Who can apply for a SIN?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for their own SIN.

Parents and individuals who are legally authorized to act on behalf of the applicant, e.g. legal guardian or legal representative, can also apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority of their province, and adults in their care.

Each SIN is issued to one person only. It cannot legally be used by anyone else. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Store any document containing your SIN and personal information in a safe place. Don’t keep it with you.

For more information on how to protect your SIN, please refer to: Your Social Insurance Number: A Shared Responsibility.