Newborn Registration Service

Important Notices:

  • On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped.
  • You must be the parent of the child and a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident to use this service. If you are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, you may still be eligible but you will need to visit a Service Canada Centre to apply for your child's SIN.

This service is available in all the provinces of Canada. It is currently not available in the territories.

Parents of newborns can now get convenient bundled services from Service Canada and its provincial partners. You can use the Newborn Registration Service to complete your child's Birth Registration and apply for your child's Social Insurance Number (SIN). For the provinces of British Columbia, Ontario and Saskatchewan, you also have the option to apply for your child's Birth Certificate.

With this integrated application, you can avoid going to different levels of government and entering the same information over and over again on separate application forms. The service is simple, convenient and secure!

You should receive your child’s SIN in the mail within 10 business days from the date your child’s application was processed by the province. If more than 15 business days have passed and you would like to find out the status of your application, contact the SIN program.

NOTE: For Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan, the confirmation of SIN letter will reflect all the names provided on the Birth Registration form. For Quebec, the confirmation of SIN letter will reflect the "usual given name" and "surname" provided on the Application for Simplified Access to Birth form. If you need to modify the name on your child's confirmation of SIN letter, you will need to apply for your child's SIN directly in-person at a Service Canada Centre.

Use the following external links for additional information on these services:

For parents living in the territories, please see How do I apply for a Social Insurance Number?