How do I apply for a SIN, replace my card or amend my SIN record (e.g., a name change)?
- The Social Insurance Number card is not an identity document
- Original identity documents are required to apply, photocopies are not accepted
If everything is in order, you will get your Social Insurance Number at the time of your visit and receive your card within 10 business days.
Special measures are in place to accommodate individuals who cannot apply in-person at a Service Canada point of service. Note: Only individuals in these circumstances are permitted to apply by mail:
- Individuals living 100 km or more from the nearest Service Canada point of service, in an inaccessible area, or where outreach is very infrequent may apply by mail. To confirm if you are eligible to apply by mail, please select your province or territory to see if your postal code appears on the approved list. If it does, then you are eligible to apply by mail.
- Individuals with other extenuating limitations preventing them from visiting a Service Canada point of service and cannot use the assistance of another individual to submit an application on their behalf may be eligible to apply by mail. Note: Individuals must contact 1-800-206-7218 (select Option #3) to determine if they are eligible to apply by mail.
If you need to replace your SIN card, a $10 fee may be required.
Through the Newborn Registration Service
If you are a parent, you may be eligible to apply for the SIN for your newborn. Service Canada’s Newborn Registration Service is an integrated birth registration and SIN application process. This service is available in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Québec.
To apply for or replace your SIN, or to amend your SIN record from outside of Canada:
- Download an application form from our Web site, or order the form by phone at 1-800-206-7218 (select Option "3").
- Send us your completed application, original documents and payment, if required, to:
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst NB E2A 4T1
If you are eligible to apply by mail, you can submit an application with original proof-of-identity document(s). Service Canada is not responsible for documents lost in the mail. Photocopies are not acceptable.
If you send your application by registered mail, we will return your documents and SIN card in the same way.
If your SIN application meets the requirements, you will receive your SIN card by mail within 20 business days from the date we receive the application.
- Date modified: