How do I update my SIN that begins with a '9'?

Important Notices:

  • There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped.
  • SIN cards that are not expired and are currently in circulation can still be used.

Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) that begin with a "9" are issued to temporary workers who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents. These SINs are temporary and valid only until the expiry date indicated on the immigration document authorizing them to work in Canada.

If your SIN begins with a "9", it is important that you update your SIN record to ensure that the expiry date always corresponds with the expiry date on your document from Citizenship and Immigration Canada authorizing you to work in Canada. Once your SIN record has been updated, you will receive a confirmation of SIN letter with the new expiry date. Your previous confirmation of SIN or SIN card is no longer valid and should be destroyed in a secure manner.

If you are an employer, learn more about your responsibilities related to your employees' SINs.