Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People
Self-employed Canadians can access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:
Currently, if you are a self-employed person in Quebec, you are already entitled to apply for maternity, paternity, and parental benefits through the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan. If you choose to participate in the EI program, you will be eligible to apply for EI sickness and compassionate care benefits.
Please read through the detailed eligibility criteria for more information.
To help you determine if these EI special benefits are right for you, see the examples of individual situations.
Details are available on the Application information page.
Dates and deadlines
You can register to participate in the EI program through My Service Canada Account at any time.
Service Canada, on behalf of the Government of Canada, is pleased to be able to offer EI special benefits to self-employed people. As with any important contractual document, be sure to read through the information provided about this new EI benefits offering before registering and accepting all the terms and conditions.
- Calculation of premiums
- Amount of weekly benefits
- Working while receiving special benefits
- Cancelling your participation
- Helpful program definitions
- Frequently asked questions
- EI Special Benefits for Self-Employed People Booklet
Other programs or services of interest
- Service Canada - Starting a Business
- Service Canada - Employers
- Canada Business
- Canada Revenue Agency – Self-employed
- Industry Canada – Business Tools and Resources
- Date modified: