Getting Married

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Service Canada has compiled the following to help you get all your documents in order.

Obtain a Marriage Licence and Certificate

To apply for a marriage licence and certificate you will need:

  • The date you are planning to marry
  • Proof of your present marital status
  • Proof of identification (provincial or territorial driver's licence or birth certificate)
  • Additional information may be required

For more information on obtaining licences and certificates, consult your province or territory's website.

Change your Name

If you decide to change your surname, it is your responsibility to change your name with all relevant government departments and agencies. The following will need to be updated:

For more information on changing your name, consult your province or territory's website.

Getting Married Overseas

If you are getting married overseas, most countries will require a statement in-lieu of certification of non-impediment to marriage abroad. You can apply for one by mail to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada Authentication and Service of Documents section before your departure. If you are already abroad, you may obtain a "Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment" from the nearest Canadian government office abroad.

See all Life Events.