Having your Credentials Recognized

To work in Canada, you may need to have your academic and/or professional credentials assessed to do certain jobs. This is essential in all regulated professions. While you are in your home country you can research your profession in Canada and start your credentials assessment process. If you have arrived in Canada, it is important to get started on these tasks quickly.

If you are considering moving to Canada or you have recently arrived in Canada, the Planning to work in Canada? workbook will help you gather information about living and working in Canada.

The following information can help you get your credentials recognized and started on your job search in Canada.

Determine if your Profession is Regulated

The resources on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Job Bank websites will help you determine if your profession is regulated or non-regulated in the province/territory in which you would like to work.

If your profession is regulated, the Job Bank website will indicate the appropriate provincial/territorial regulatory body. You need to contact this organization to determine what steps to take to start working in your profession. Carefully review the information about certification on the regulatory organization’s website.

Some professions that are not regulated by law have professional organizations that may provide certification courses. Membership in these organizations might provide you with good networking opportunities which could help you find work in your profession. The Job Bank website can help you determine if there are any professional associations in your field.

Have your Credentials Assessed

Contact the appropriate regulatory body and provide it with the necessary documents to have your credentials assessed. The documents and process are determined by the specific regulatory body and can vary greatly depending on the province/territory and profession.

If your profession is non-regulated, it is still a good idea to have your credentials assessed and recognized because it will help employers better understand your qualifications.

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada website also provides additional information on the credential assessment process.

Organize your Documents

The regulatory body for your profession will need specific documents to support the recognition of your credentials. Generally, you will require at least a copy of your degree/diploma and transcripts, translated into either English or French. The regulatory body will specify any other necessary documents and will be able to provide you with additional information, including specifications about translation standards.

Citizen and Immigration Canada provides Occupational Fact Sheets that will help you to understand the general requirements you must meet to work in some professions/sectors and understand the steps that you can take while you are still in your home country.

To work in Canada, you will need a Social Insurance Number. You can apply for a Social Insurance Number at any Service Canada Centre. You must provide a primary document that proves your identity and status in Canada. If your name on your primary document is different from the name you are currently using, you must also provide a supporting document. These documents must be originals and written in English or French.

Begin the Job Search

For your job search, you will need a résumé or curriculum vitæ written in English or French and formatted in a style acceptable to Canadian employers. When you arrive in Canada, visit your nearest Immigrant services office or Employment Resource Centre for help with your résumé and job search activities.

If you have letters of reference from previous employers, you should have them translated into English or French.

Various job search tools are available to help you find a job in Canada, create a résumé, choose a career and assess your skills. You also can learn about finding jobs in Canada by visiting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Apply for Other Employment Programs and Services

You may be eligible for other programs and services. Visit the Benefits Finder on the Canada Benefits website for a list of federal and provincial or territorial government benefits for which you may be eligible.

See all Life Events.