Filing your tax return online
Preparing your income tax return online is a quick, easy and secure way to get your tax refund faster.
If you have received any payments from our Employment Insurance, Old Age Security or the Canada Pension Plan this tax year, you can follow our 3-Step Checklist to help you get started.
Step 1: Update your online profile
- It is important that both Service Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) have your most up-to-date personal information, including your mailing address and direct deposit information.
- The best way to do this is to register for or log in to both My Service Canada Account (MSCA) and the Canada Revenue Agency's My Account. If you are eligible to log in to MSCA and CRA My Account using a Sign-in Partner, you can use the same user ID and password that you use for online banking.
You also have the option of logging into MSCA and CRA My Account using your own user ID and password. Click on the links below for more information:
Step 2: Get your tax slips online
- You can avoid the lengthy mail wait times for your T4 slips for EI, CPP and OAS by accessing them through MSCA and/or CRA My Account starting February 1.
- To stop receiving your T4 slips for EI, CPP, and OAS in the mail, log in to MSCA and click on the Stop/Start Mailing link under the View Tax Slips tab.
Step 3: Complete your e-filing with CRA
- Visit CRA's Get Ready webpage and follow the 3-step checklist to complete the filing of your tax return online.
NOTE: Not all T4 (CPP, OAS, EI) slips are available online. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions to find out which tax slips you will receive by mail for certain benefits.
If you’ve lost your access code to register for MSCA, contact:
- 1-800-206-7218 for your EI access code
- 1-800-277-9914 (English) or
- 1-800-277-9915 (French) for your CPP or OAS personal access code
If you’ve lost your CRA My Account security code, contact 1-800-714-7257.
If you have trouble logging in to My Service Canada Account, contact us for assistance.
Your Comments will help us to improve this page. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Date modified: