The Work Permits program issues work permits to eligible foreign workers who wish to work temporarily in Canada, provides information on the related application process, and issues visitor records to business visitors.
Delivered by: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- have a valid passport or other travel document issued by their country of residence
- be in good health (a medical exam may be required)
- provide proof that they have sufficient funds to support their stay in Canada
- demonstrate that their stay in Canada is temporary
- not have a criminal record, nor be considered a security risk
Other criteria may apply.
In most cases, foreign workers must have obtained a labour market opinion from their potential employer before applying for a work permit.
In most cases, foreign workers who are coming from countries that are not visa exempt must also obtain a Temporary Resident Visa, which is usually issued along with the work permit.
- There is a processing fee of $150 for work permit applications.
- General Inquiries: 1-888-242-2100
- TTY: 1-888-576-8502
- The program also issues work permits to the spouses and common-law partners of work permit and study permit holders in Canada, which enable them to work during their spouse's or partner's term of employment or studies.
- Foreign workers in certain categories may be allowed to work temporarily in Canada without a work permit.
- Individuals who are already legally in Canada as temporary residents (i.e. visitors, students or workers) and who wish to extend their stay in Canada, or change the conditions of their stay, must contact CIC for information on specific application requirements.
Related Programs and Services
- Date modified: