Temporary Resident Visa

The Temporary Resident Visa program issues temporary resident visas (single entry visas and multiple entry visas) and transit visas to eligible applicants and provides information on the related application process.

Effective May 29, 2012, temporary residents currently residing in Canada with valid student or temporary foreign worker status must submit their application for a new temporary resident visa to the Case Processing Pilot office in Ottawa.

Delivered by: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Eligibility Information

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • have a valid passport and at least one additional identity document
  • be in good health
  • provide proof that they have sufficient funds to support their stay in Canada
  • demonstrate that their stay in Canada is temporary
  • transit visa applicants must also provide proof of travel arrangements with a transportation company or travel agent

Other criteria may apply.

Application Information

  • Individuals should apply for a temporary resident visa through the Canadian Visa Office responsible for their country of citizenship or residency.
  • Individuals who are not presently in their own country may apply through the Canadian mission responsible for the country they are visiting, as long as they have been legally admitted to that country.
  • Applicants may be required to submit additional documents to validate the information provided in their application.
  • Application For Temporary Resident Visa

Financial Information

  • There is a processing fee of $75 (tax included) for single entry visa applications.
  • There is a processing fee of $150 (tax included) for multiple entry visa applications.
  • There is a maximum processing fee of $400 (tax included) per family for either single or multiple entry visa applications when all family members apply at the same time.
  • There is no fee for transit visas.

Dates and Deadlines

  • Applications for temporary resident visas must be sent at least one month before the intended departure date.

Contact Information

  • General Inquiries: 1-888-242-2100
  • TTY: 1-888-576-8502

Related Information

  • If you have committed or been convicted of a criminal offence, you may not be allowed to enter Canada.
  • Individuals who are already legally in Canada as temporary residents (i.e. visitors, students or workers) and who wish to extend their stay in Canada, or change the conditions of their stay, must contact CIC for information on specific application requirements.
  • Individuals may be allowed to stay in Canada as visitors for a maximum period of six months, but are not allowed to work or study in Canada without proper authorization.