Study Permits

The Study Permits program issues study permits (formerly "student authorizations") to eligible foreign students and provide information on the application process.

Delivered by: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Eligibility Information

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

Other criteria may apply.

Application Information

  • Foreign students should submit their study permit application as soon as they receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution.
  • Application Form

Financial Information

  • There is a processing fee of $125 (tax included) for study permit applications.

Contact Information

  • General Inquiries: 1-888-242-2100
  • TTY: 1-888-576-8502

Related Information

  • Foreign students may require a temporary resident visa (TRV).
  • Provincial and territorial ministries responsible for education provide information on studying at primary and secondary schools in their jurisdiction.
  • Individuals who are already legally in Canada as temporary residents (i.e. visitors, students or workers) and who wish to extend their stay in Canada, or change the conditions of their stay, must contact CIC for information on specific application requirements.