The Study Permits program issues study permits (formerly "student authorizations") to eligible foreign students and provide information on the application process.
Delivered by: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- have received a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution
- provide proof that they have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living costs
- provide proof that they will return to their home country at the end of their studies
- be in good health (a medical examination may be required, as determined by the Medical Examinations program)
- foreign students who wish to study in Quebec must obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate from the Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles
Other criteria may apply.
- Foreign students should submit their study permit application as soon as they receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution.
- Application Form
- There is a processing fee of $125 (tax included) for study permit applications.
- General Inquiries: 1-888-242-2100
- TTY: 1-888-576-8502
- Foreign students may require a temporary resident visa (TRV).
- Provincial and territorial ministries responsible for education provide information on studying at primary and secondary schools in their jurisdiction.
- Individuals who are already legally in Canada as temporary residents (i.e. visitors, students or workers) and who wish to extend their stay in Canada, or change the conditions of their stay, must contact CIC for information on specific application requirements.
- Date modified: