The NEXUS program allows low-risk pre-approved travellers to use designated NEXUS border crossings without being subject to regular questioning by customs and immigration officers. The program issues NEXUS identification cards for entry into both Canada and the United States to Canadian and American participants.
Delivered by: Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- comply with the admission requirements of both countries
- undergo background security checks using Canadian and American law enforcement databanks
- be citizens or permanent residents of Canada or citizens or resident aliens of the United States who have lived in either country for the last three consecutive years
- have no criminal record (or have been granted a record suspension, formerly known as a pardon)
- have no violations of customs or immigration legislation
Other criteria may apply.
- Applications submitted by mail must include photocopies of original identification documents, such as a passport and a birth certificate.
- Applicants who pass the initial security check will be interviewed at a joint Canada-United States NEXUS enrolment centre, at which time a photograph, fingerprints and an iris scan will be taken.
- Application Form
- Online Application
Dates and Deadlines
- Determining an applicant's eligibility may take six to eight weeks.
- A NEXUS identification card is valid for five years.
- NEXUS cardholders should reapply to renew their membership three months before it expires.
- There is a fee of CAN $50 or US $50 for each applicant 18 years of age or older.
- Canadian residents can pay by certified cheque, money order or credit card.
- General Inquiries: 1-866-639-8726
- Date modified: