ARCHIVED - Extension of EI Regular Benefits for Long-Tenured Workers
The following information is out of date.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
EI eligible long-tenured workers may be eligible for additional benefits if they have contributed to the Employment Insurance (EI) program for a significant period of time and have previously made limited use of EI regular benefits.
You may be eligible if:
- You have a claim for EI benefits with a start date that falls between January 4th, 2009 and September 11th, 2010;
- you have contributed at least 30% of the annual maximum EI premiums for at least seven out of ten calendar years prior to the start of your claim; and
- you have received no more than 35 weeks of regular EI benefits in the five years prior to the start of your claim.
- If you are currently receiving EI benefits, you do not have to take any action. The additional entitlement will be added to your claim automatically.
- If your claim started January 4th, 2009 or later, and has already ended, we will be contacting you by mail with information on how to claim your additional benefits.
- If your claim started January 4th, 2009 or later, and it is running out soon, we will be contacting you by telephone and/or by mail with information on how to claim your additional benefits in an effort to ensure that you do not experience an interruption in your payments.
- If you are going to file or have recently filed a new claim for benefits and are awaiting a decision on your claim, the additional entitlement will be added to your claim automatically, providing your benefits are approved.
Dates and Deadlines
- These changes began October 25, 2009 and applied to eligible claims with a start date between January 4, 2009 and September 11, 2010. The extended EI regular benefits for long tenured workers measure was to continue to provide additional support until fall 2011.
Other Related Programs or Services
- If you believe you fit the criteria of a long-tenured worker and have not received additional weeks of regular EI benefits, contact Service Canada at 1‑800‑206‑7218.
- Date modified: