Interim Federal Health Program
The Interim Federal Health Program provides limited temporary coverage of health-care costs to protected persons who are not eligible for provincial or territorial health insurance plans and where a claim cannot be made under private health insurance. These protected persons include resettled refugees, refugee claimants, certain persons detained under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and other specified groups.
Delivered by: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Fall within the specified groups identified above
- Not be eligible for coverage under provincial or territorial health insurance plans
- General Inquiries: 1-888-242-2100
- TTY: 1-888-576-8502
- The IFHP provides coverage to eligible beneficiaries via a contracted claims administrator through a network of registered health care providers across Canada. Health care providers are reimbursed directly for covered services rendered to eligible beneficiaries.
- The program helps protect public health and public safety, and offers access to urgent and essential health services and products to some of the eligible groups above. The IFHP primarily offers four types of coverage: health care coverage, public health or public safety health care coverage, immigration medical examinations, and coverage for detainees.
- In general, eligibility for the IFHP is restricted to those who are not eligible for provincial or territorial health insurance. The IFHP does not cover services or products for which a person may make a claim under a private insurance plan.
- Date modified: