Grant for Students with Dependants
This grant provides financial assistance to students with dependent children under 12 years of age at the period of study start date. Students who are eligible for the Grant for Students with Dependants may also be eligible for the Grant for Students from Low-Income Families
Delivered by: Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
You are eligible if you:
- apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan
- are pursuing full-time post-secondary studies leading to an undergraduate degree, certificate, or diploma in a program of study of at least 12 weeks withing a 15 week period at a designated post-secondary institution
- have a dependant under 12 years of age at the period of study start date; and
- are from a low-income family as defined by the Canada Student Loans Program
IMPORTANT: Low-income students with disabled dependant children 12 years of age or older may be eligible for this grant. In these particular cases, proof of the disability in the form of a medical certificate or documentation providing receipt of federal or provincial disability assistance would be required.
When you apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan in your province or territory of permanent residence, you will automatically be assessed for this grant.
- Eligibility for this grant is determined during the assessment of the student loan process.
- Loan application forms are available from provincial and territorial student financial aid offices in educational institutions.
Canada Student Grants are money that you do not pay back. You may be eligible to receive more than one grant at the same time. For more information visit CanLearn.ca.
- Date modified: