Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG)
The grant has two parts:
- Basic Canada Education Savings Grant
The Basic Canada Education Savings Grant will give you 20% on every dollar of the first $2,500 you save in your child’s RESP each year.
- Additional Canada Education Savings Grant
Depending on your net family income, you could receive an extra 10% or 20% on every dollar of the first $500 you save in your child’s RESP each year.
Delivered by: Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Who can get the grant?
- Children who are Canadian residents and are named in a RESP are eligible to receive Grant amounts until the end of the calendar year they turn 17.
- Special rules apply if your child is between the ages of 15 and 17. See Special Rules for Children Aged 15 to 17.
- Visit the CanLearn website to get more details on CESG.
- Information on RESPs and CESG application procedures is available from financial institutions, such as banks or credit unions; or through a certified financial planner or a group plan dealer. These institutions, planners and dealers are known as "RESP providers".
The maximum lifetime grant the Government of Canada can give your child through the Canada Education Savings Grant is $7,200.
Your child can use the money for full-time or part-time studies in an apprenticeship program, CEGEP, trade school, college or university.
- General Inquiries: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)
- TTY: 1-800-926-9105
- Date modified: