Who can certify my identity documents?

Only people who hold the following positions can certify copies of your identity documents for the Common Experience Payment application:

  • Chief or Councillor of First Nations Band Council
  • Council members of the Métis Settlements General Council, and members of the Saskatchewan Provincial Métis Council
  • Dentist
  • Executive Officer of Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.
  • Executive Officer of Inuvialuit Regional Corporation and of the six (6) Inuvialuit Community Corporations (Northwest Territories)
  • Executive Officer Makivik (northern Quebec)
  • Judge
  • Lawyer (member of a provincial bar association)
  • Notary in Quebec
  • Magistrate
  • Mayor
  • Medical doctor
  • Minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
  • Notary public
  • Optometrist
  • Pharmacist
  • Police officer (municipal, provincial, or RCMP)
  • Postmaster
  • Principal of a primary or secondary school
  • Professional accountant (APA, CA, CGA, CMA, PA, RPA)
  • Professional engineer (P.Eng., Eng. in Quebec)
  • Senior administrator in a community college (includes CEGEPs)
  • Senior administrator or teacher in a university
  • Social worker with MSW (Masters in Social Work)
  • Veterinarian

Note: You cannot certify copies of your own identity documents. Service Canada employees cannot certify identity documents.