Apprenticeship Incentive Grant - FAQ - Ontario Apprentices
If Service Canada is now accepting the Confirmation of In-School Training letter for Ontario apprentices, are transcripts/letters from training institutions still accepted?
Service Canada is moving away from accepting various letters from unions and training centres to only accepting one document – the Confirmation of In-School Training (COIST) letter issued by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) to all apprentices who progress from one level to the next.
Apprentices are strongly encouraged to submit their COIST letter with their application when applying for the Apprenticeship Grant. Service Canada will continue to accept the union letters and training centre transcripts if an apprentice cannot provide the MTCU COIST letter.
I'm an Ontario apprentice and I've already applied for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) but have recently received a Confirmation of In-School Training letter. What does this mean?
If you have already submitted an application with your transcripts, you do not need to re-apply with your letter.
If you have applied for and received the AIG for Level 1 and your letter indicates that you have completed Level 2, you may be eligible to apply for the Level 2 grant with the Confirmation of In-School Training letter.
I'm an Ontario apprentice and I have lost my copy of the official Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) Confirmation of In-School Training letter. What other document can I submit as proof of technical training?
The MTCU automatically mails a copy of the Confirmation of In-School Training letter to apprentices who have completed Level 1 or Level 2 of their apprentice training. If you have lost the letter, it is strongly recommended that you contact MTCU to obtain a copy. You can communicate with MTCU at the following:
Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
Telephone: (416) 326-1600
Toll Free: 1-800-387-5514
Fax: (416) 325-6162
Apprentices are strongly encouraged to submit MTCU’s Confirmation of In-School Training letter. Service Canada will continue to accept the following documents as proof of technical training if one cannot provide the MTCU Confirmation of In-School Training letter:
- A college transcript/letter
- A union letter (showing your name and the courses you attended for that level with a clear indication of a pass mark, end date of training, and the training delivery institution name and address)
or, if applicable
- A copy of the letter that confirms you have been exempted for technical in-school training (MTCU or college exemption test letter or MTCU Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition – PLAR letter)
You must still complete the section of the application that describes your on-the-job portion of the apprenticeship program in order to prove progression.
I am in a modified apprenticeship program (MAP) in Ontario. What do I need to apply for the grant?
If you are a MAP apprentice in Ontario, you will receive only one college transcript once your full MAP program is completed. This same transcript will be used to prove your progression in your Red Seal trade for both Level 1 and Level 2 grants.
If you are Level 1, you must:
- have been registered as an apprentice for at least 12 months and successfully completed your full MAP program before applying for Level 1;
- submit an AIG application;
- submit your registration wallet card; and
- submit your college transcript of successful completion of the full MAP program.
If you are Level 2, you must:
- have been registered as an apprentice for 24 months and successfully completed your full MAP program before applying for Level 2;
- submit a new application; and
- submit your registration wallet card.
The transcript you previously submitted for your Level 1 grant will be used as proof of your progression for Level 2.
- Date modified: