Frequently Asked Questions

Jobs and Employment Insurance

Employment Insurance

Where is the nearest employment office?

The Government of Canada employment offices are now called Service Canada Centres. Our Find a Service Canada Office tool will help you find services close to your home. You can file for Employment Insurance or review job opportunities online on the Job Bank website.

How do I file for Employment Insurance?

Consult the Employment Insurance regular benefits page for information about whether or not you are eligible to receive EI benefits and, if so, how much you are entitled to receive. You have to file your EI claim online.

I've just been laid off. What do I do?

The Government of Canada helps recently laid-off Canadians by providing income-support programs such as Employment Insurance, job-search resources, the Connecting Canadians with Available Jobs initiative, and training and career development programs.

How do I get a Record of Employment to apply for Employment Insurance?

If your employers issue ROEs in paper format, you must request ROEs from all your employers who issued ROEs in paper format in the last 52 weeks. However, if your employer submits your ROEs to Service Canada electronically, you do not need to request a paper copy of your ROE from your employer since we will receive it electronically from your employer. On the same day your employer submits it, you will be able to view and print copies of your ROEs online using My Service Canada Account.

If you are having difficulty obtaining your ROE(s) from your employer(s), we can help. Contact us at 1-800-206-7218 or go to your Service Canada Centre. One of our agents will advise you how the ROEs can be obtained or what is needed to calculate your claim.

How many hours or weeks of work do I need to qualify for Employment Insurance?

The number of hours or weeks you need to qualify for EI are based on where you live and the unemployment rate in your economic region at the time you file your claim.

You can find EI information for you region by clicking on the links below:

I'm unable to work because of sickness or injury. What should I do?

Employment Insurance (EI) provides sickness benefits to individuals who are unable to work because of sickness, injury, or quarantine. You can file your EI sickness benefits application online.

When should I expect my first Employment Insurance payment?

If we have all the required information and if you qualify for benefits, your EI payment will be issued usually within 28 days from the date we receive your application. If you do not qualify, we will notify you of the decision made on your claim.

What if my parental leave has been deferred or interrupted because of an imperative military requirement?

If your parental leave has been deferred or interrupted because of an imperative military requirement, the parental eligibility period during which Employment Insurance (EI) parental benefit can be paid may be extended by one week for every week that you are unable to collect EI parental benefits (Read more about extension of eligibility period for Employment Insurance Parental Benefits for military families).

Are self-employed people eligible for Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits?

Beginning in 2011, registered and qualified self-employed Canadians will be able to begin accessing Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits: maternity, parental, sickness, and compassionate care. Visit the Employment Insurance Benefits for Self-Employed People website for more information.

Finding a job

Can Service Canada help me find a job?

Service Canada helps Canadians find jobs by offering job-search resources such as ESCD's Job Bank, training and career development programs, information about the Foreign Credentials Referral Office and income support while unemployed.

I'm a student. How can I find a job?

  • Youth Canada offers youth information on jobs, careers and career planning. Like all Canadians, they can also be served by calling 1 800 O-Canada or by going to any Service Canada Centre.
  • ESCD's Job Bank also offers opportunities to find part-time work throughout the year.

Are there training programs for workers?

Changing your address

How do I change my address with the government?

To ensure that your benefit payments continue to arrive on time, it is important to make sure that you change your address with both the Government of Canada and your provincial or territorial government.


How do I apply for maternity or parental leave?

Under the Employment Insurance (EI) program, the Government of Canada provides maternity and parental benefits to individuals who are pregnant, have recently given birth, are adopting a child, or are caring for a newborn.

Consult the EI maternity and parental benefits page for information about whether or not you are eligible to receive these benefits and, if so, how much you are entitled to receive. You can file your EI maternity and parental benefits application online.

For Quebec residents, please note that the Province of Quebec is responsible for providing maternity, paternity, parental, and adoption benefits to residents of Quebec through a program called the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP).

How do I apply for child care benefits?

If you have a child younger than six years old, you are eligible to receive the Universal Child Care Benefit-a taxable, $100 monthly payment for families to help cover the cost of child care. You must apply for this benefit from the Canada Revenue Agency. For more information on services for families, see having a baby or raising a family.


Are there scholarships and loans available to college and university students?

Service Canada offers various scholarship and loan programs to college and university students.

Is there financial aid available to apprentices?

Registered apprentices may be eligible to receive a taxable cash grant of $1,000 per year through the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) program. It is available to registered apprentices once they have successfully completed their first or second year of an apprenticeship program in one of the Red Seal trades.


Are there programs for businesses?

Service Canada offers programs and services for businesses. If you are starting a business, you may be eligible to apply for programs and services through the Canada Business network.

I want to hire new staff. Where should I post my job offer?

  • Job Bank is a free, online job-posting service where employers can post their job offers.
  • Canada Summer Jobs provides funding for non-profit organizations, public-sector employers, and small businesses (with fewer than 50 employees) to create job opportunities for students during the summer months.

Seniors and retirement

I will retire soon. When do I apply for my retirement pension?

The Government of Canada provides different kinds of retirement income, including the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) retirement pension and the Old Age Security (OAS) pension. To receive your pension as quickly as possible, you should submit your application six months before you turn 65 years old. You can print the CPP retirement pension application kit and the OAS pension application kit from the Web, or you can contact Service Canada to request an application form by mail.

Where can I get an estimate on how much income I may need for my retirement?

You may use the Canadian Retirement Income Calculator. It will give you information on Canada's public pensions and help you estimate how much income you may need for your retirement, according to your personal financial situation.

When will I receive my CPP or OAS T4 or NR4 tax information slips?

T4 tax information slips are for residents of Canada, while NR4 tax information slips are for those living outside of Canada. You can view your CPP or OAS T4 or NR4 tax information slips online as early as February 1.

If you prefer to receive your CPP or OAS tax information slips by mail, we will send them to you in February. If you do not receive your tax slips by February 28, contact us.