ARCHIVED - Employment Insurance - Important Notice about Maximum Insurable Earnings for 2011

WarningThe following information is out of date.

Archived content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

The maximum insurable earnings (MIE) is the income level up to which Employment Insurance (EI) premiums are paid. It determines the maximum rate of weekly benefits paid for all types of benefits under the EI program.

Effective January 1, 2011, the maximum insurable earnings will increase from $43,200 to $44,200. This means that an insured worker will pay EI premiums in 2011 on insured earnings up to $44,200.

In 2011, the employee EI premium rate will be $1.78 per $100. This premium rate and the MIE increase means that insured workers will pay a maximum annual EI premium in 2011 of $786.76 compared with $747.36 in 2010.

As a result of the increased MIE, beginning in January 2011, the maximum weekly EI benefit rate will increase from $457 to $468 per week. Claims established before December 26th, 2010, will not be affected by the 2011 MIE increase.

Insured workers will pay EI premiums on all earnings up to the annual maximum salary of $44,200. This means a deduction of $1.78 will be made for every $100 of salary until the $44,200 has been reached each year. For example, if an individual earns $52,000 a year, premiums are payable on the first $44,200.

The premium rate for workers in Quebec will be $1.41. This rate is lower than in the rest of Canada, because the Province of Quebec has been collecting premiums since January 2006 to administer its own maternity, parental, and paternity benefits under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan.

Need more information?

  • Call: toll free 1 800 206-7218 (TTY 1 800 529-3742)
  • Visit: your nearest Service Canada Centre or call 1 800 O Canada (1 800 622-6232) (TTY 800 926-9105).