ARCHIVED - The latest on Employment Insurance - 2006
The following information is out of date.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Important notice about Maximum Insurable Earnings - Effective for all EI claims established December 31, 2006 and after, the maximum insurable earnings will increase from $39,000 to $40,000. To know more
- Important Notice for your direct deposit: Due to statutory holidays observed by Federal Government departments and financial institutions, please take note of the following payment delays.
For reports processed Friday, December 22nd through to Tuesday, December 26th, payments will be deposited on Thursday, December 28th.
For reports processed Thursday, December 28th, payments will be deposited on Tuesday, January 2nd.
For reports processed Friday, December 29th to Monday, January 1st, payments will be deposited on Wednesday, January 3rd.
If you receive your payment by mail, postal delays may occur.
- Important notice! If after reporting early for your reporting period ending December 16th or December 23rd, 2006, you worked, received other moneys, were not available for work or became sick during the remainder of the period normally covered by your report, you must advise us of the new information. If this is the case, please call 1 800 206-7218 during business hours and press 0 for assistance or use this form to indicate the corrections to your report.
- My Service Canada Account: An improved Service.
Important: Access to this service is changing! On November 23, 2006, this online service will be through the new My Service Canada Account. You will be able to access and manage all of your personal information for Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security from one secure location. Find out more...
To use My Service Canada Account, you will have to register for a Government of Canada epass. As part of the registration process, you will be required to create an epass User ID and Password.
- Canada Employment Insurance Commission sets Employment Insurance premium rate for 2007.
- This month Service Canada is notifying employers and payroll professionals that use the laser printed version of the Record of Employment (ROE) about the phase-out of the ROE Laser product. The software is not compatible with newer computer platforms and soon the manufacturer will no longer support the equipment used for ROE Laser. Service Canada is encouraging employers to convert to the comparable and improved Internet based service called ROE Web. Although the product will be phased out by April 30, 2008, ROEs that are issued using the ROE Laser product are still valid - workers can still submit them when they apply for Employment Insurance benefits.
- Report of the HRSDC Chief Actuary to the Employment Insurance Commission on the Employment Insurance premium rate and Maximum Insurable Earnings for 2007.
In accordance with section 65.3 of the Employment insurance Act, the chief actuary shall determine the premium rate for a year that, in the chief actuary opinion, based on the information provided by the Minister of Finance under section 66.2, taking into account any regulations made under section 69 and any requests made by the Minister in accordance with subsection 65.3(2), should generate just enough premium revenue during that year to cover the payments that will be made under subsection 77(1) during that year. Also, in accordance with section 4 of the Employment Insurance Act the Maximum Insurable Earnings must be determined annually in accordance with the prescribed formula.
- Important notice: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday October 9th, payments processed from Friday, October 6th to Monday, October 9th will be deposited on Wednesday, October 11th.
- Important notice: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday, September 4th, payments processed from Friday, September 1st to Monday, September 4th will be deposited on Wednesday, September 6th.
- Important notice: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday, August 7th, payments processed from Friday, August 4th to Monday, August 7th will be deposited on Wednesday, August 9th.
- Important notice: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday, July 3rd, payments processed from Friday, June 30th to Monday, July 3rd will be deposited on Wednesday, July 5th.
- Important notice for Quebec resident only: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday, June 26th, payments processed from Friday, June 23rd to Monday, June 26th will be deposited on Wednesday, June 28th.
- Eligibility for the compassionate care benefit has expanded. Effective the week of June 11, 2006, eligible workers can receive the benefit to provide care or support to a wider range of family members, including anyone the gravely ill person decides to designate as like a family member, including friends or neighbours. For more information
- A new pilot project will provide additional weeks of regular benefits to eligible workers. For more information
- Important notice: Due to the statutory holiday on Monday, May 22, payments processed from Friday, May 19th to Monday, May 22nd will be deposited on Wednesday, May 24th.
- Service Canada has upgraded the 53 week Record of Employment on the Web service (ROE Web) for Canadian business. The upgraded version is now compatible with Macintosh computers. In addition, a new feature will enable ROE information to be imported in an XML file to your payroll system. The imported data can then be used to issue amended ROEs in bulk 53 week format only. Find out more about creating, amending and submitting Records of Employment using the ROE Web service.
- The 2005 Employment Insurance Monitoring and Assessment Report focuses on the period April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005. The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Social Development, tabled the report in Parliament on April 28th, 2006. The report, prepared by the Canada Employment Insurance Commission, monitors and assesses the impacts of the Employment Insurance system on the economy, communities and individuals.
- Important notice: Due to the Easter holidays observed by Federal Government Departments and Financial Institutions on Friday, April 14th and Monday, April 17th, payments processed the evening of Wednesday, April 12th will be deposited to bank accounts on Tuesday, April 18th.
Payments processed from Thursday, April 13th to Monday, April 17th will be deposited on Wednesday, April 19th, 2006.
- Coming in Spring 2006! Service Canada is upgrading the existing 53 week ROE Web to include a new import feature. This enhancement, in response to requests from vendors speaking on behalf of employers, will allow users to import ROE information in an XML file to their payroll system. Look for the addition of the import functionality soon. To find out more about ROE Web
- Starting February 1, 2006, you will be able to view and print copies of your EI tax information slip online T4E. You can submit these copies with your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) tax return. This service also offers the advantage of allowing you to stop the mailing of your tax slips for future years. To know more about the Tax Information Slips online...
- Important notice! If you have moved, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible by calling us at 1 800 206-7218 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm and press "0" to speak to an agent so we can make the change to your file. Your T4E for 2005 will be mailed to the address on file as of January 19, 2006.
- Date modified: