ARCHIVED - Service Canada at a Glance
The following information is out of date.
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Service Canada is the Government of Canada’s one-stop service delivery network. In partnership with other departments, agencies and levels of government, it provides Canadians with easy access to a growing range of government programs and services.
Service Canada is just a call, click or visit away. Our service delivery network consists of in-person offices, a national telephone information service at 1 800 O-Canada, and online services at servicecanada.gc.ca. We also have mobile and outreach services that give Canadians living in remote, rural or northern communities that were previously under-served access to government services and information. By March 2006 we had 320 Service Canada Centres and 96 outreach and mobile sites.
Service Canada’s annual activities include:
- Paying about $70 billion in government benefits to roughly 8 million Canadians ($190 million per day) – equal to 5% of Canada’s Gross Domestic Product and 30% of Government of Canada expenditures;
- Making 124 million individual payments to Canadians for Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and other benefits;
- Processing more than 5 million applications for government benefits;
- Receiving 1.5 million requests for Social Insurance Numbers;
- Posting 800,000 job ads from employers;
- Receiving more than 56 million calls about the Government of Canada, its programs and services;
- Providing electronic services to more than 2.5 million Canadians per week;
- Conducting 500,000 interviews with Canadians about the services and programs they need;
- Bringing direct service to more than 250,000 Canadians in rural and remote communities through outreach and mobile services;
- Mailing more than 20 million letters;
- Working with more than 55,000 community organizations.
- Date modified: